- Serves: Makes 12 dumplings
- Cook Time: 50 minutes , plus steaming or boiling
- Prep Time: plus soaking
- Effort: hard
- 24 dried bamboo leaf
- soy sauce, to serve
For the fried chicken
- 2 chicken breast fillets, diced
- 3 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 1 tsp chinese five spice
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
For the cooked glutinous rice
- 500 g glutinous rice
- 1000 ml water
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
For the filling
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp chopped ginger
- 4 clove garlic, hopped
- 200 g shallots, chopped
- g toasted cashew nuts
- 50 g dried shrimps, pre-soaked in hot water for 20 minutes
- 10 chinese dried mushrooms, already pre-soaked in hot water for 20 minutes, chopped
- 50 g bamboo shoots
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp chinese five spice
- 100 g boiled, peeled chestnuts
Tips and Suggestions
Dried bamboo leaves, dried shrimp and dried Chinese mushrooms can be found in Chinese supermarkets.
1. First prepare the fried chicken. Place the diced chicken in a bowl with the light and dark soy sauces, black pepper and Chinese five-spice, mixing well. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
2. Meanwhile, prepare the cooked glutinous rice. Wash the rice several times until the water runs clear, to get rid of excess starch.
3. Place the washed rice in a deep, flat-based bowl and add in the water and vegetable oil.
4. Place the bowl in a lidded steamer and place this over a pan of boiling water.
5. Steam for around 30 minutes (topping up the boiling water as required) until the rice is tender and set aside.
6. To cook the chicken, heat the vegetable oil in a wok or frying pan. Add in the marinated chicken beast together with the marinade. Stir-fry until the chicken is cooked through, around 5 minutes. Set aside.
7. To make the filling, heat the vegetable oil in a wok or frying pan. Add in the ginger, garlic and shallots and stir-fry for 1-2 minutes, until fragrant.
8. Add in the cashew nuts, dried shrimps, Chinese mushrooms and bamboo shoot. Stir-fry for 2 minutes.
9. Add the cooked glutinous rice and stir-fry all the ingredients together for 1 minute.
10. Add the soy sauce and Chinese five spice powder. Stir-fry for another minute, then transfer to a large plate.
11. Take the dried bamboo leaves. Wash the bamboo leaves. Bring a pan of water to the boil, add the washed bamboo leaves to the pan and set aside to soak for 5 minutes; drain and rinse.
12. Pick two bamboo leaves, one small and one large. Place the smaller leaf on the larger leaf and with the tapered ends of the leaves at opposite ends, fold the leaves and bring the opposite ends to the middle, producing a small "cup" and place this in your left hand.
13. With your right hand, spoon some of the glutinous rice mixture, half filling the leaf cup.
14. Place two pieces of chestnut, then two pieces of fried chicken into the leaf cup, then add more of the glutinous rice mixture on top to fill the cup.
15. Press the cup into the rest of the bamboo leaf and fold in the leaves. Then, with a piece of string, loop around the triangular corner of the bamboo rice dumpling and tie it to secure it.
16. Tie 6 long pieces of string together and make a knot in the middle to produce twelve string ends and tie the bamboo dumpling on the end of these.
17. Repeat the process making 12 bamboo leaf-wrapped dumplings in all.
18. Steam or boil the rice dumplings and serve them warm with soy sauce.
Rate This Recipe