- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Effort: medium
- oil, for frying
- icing sugar
- 4 bananas
For the sticky toffee sauce:
- 100 g unsalted butter
- 100 g dark brown sugar
- 100 ml whipping cream
For the custard:
- 6 large eggs
- 125 g caster sugar
- 450 ml whipping cream
- 1 vanilla pod, split in half and seeds scraped
- 1 level tablespoon cornflour
1. Make the custard first by whisking together the eggs and sugar in a bowl. Heat up the cream with the vanilla pod until nearly boiling.
2. Add a quarter of the hot cream to the eggs and whisk in before adding the rest.
3. Pour the mixture into a clean, thick-bottomed pan and stir with a wooden spoon over a low heat until it coats the back of the spoon, around 10-20 minutes.
4. Stir in the cornflour and pass the custard through a sieve.
5. Heat a frying pan until very hot. Add a dash of the oil followed by sieved icing sugar. Cook stirring to create a dark brown caramel.
6.Quickly add the whole bananas and cook until golden brown.
7.Remove the bananas from the pan and set to one side.
8.To make the toffee sauce, add the butter, cream and brown sugar to the pan, mix together and bring to the boil.
9.Return the bananas to the pan and cook in the sauce for a further 20 seconds or so. Transfer to a serving plate and serve with the custard.
Rate This Recipe