- Serves: 6
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 250 g dates, pitted and chopped
- 375 ml water
- 1/2 heaped tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 75 g unsalted butter
- 200 g caster sugar
- 300 g plain flour
- 1/2 heaped tsp baking powder
- 2 small eggs
- ice cream, to serve
1. Preheat the oven to 170C/gas 3.
2. Grease a medium sized baking dish or tin.
3. Place the dates and water in a pan with the bicarbonate of soda and bring to the boil. Remove from the heat and set aside.
4. Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Sift in the flour and baking powder, stirring gently.
5. Gradually add the eggs, beating well after each addition.
6. Drain the dates (reserving the cooking water) and add to the egg mixture.
7. Stir the warm date cooking liquor into the mixture.
8. Place the mixture into the prepared tin or dish and cook in the oven for 20 minutes until risen and firm to the touch or until a knife inserted into the centre comes out clean.
9. To serve, cut the pudding into 6 portions and serve with ice cream.
Rate This Recipe