- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Prep Time: 45 minutes
- Effort: medium
For the sauce
- 120 g unsalted butter
- 300 g muscovado sugar
- 2.5 tbsp golden syrup
- 100 ml double cream
- 200 g dates, pitted and chopped
- 300 ml water
- 2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 100 g unsalted butter, softened, plus extra for greasing
- 100 g soft dark brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- pinches salt
- 3 eggs
- 125 g plain flour
- whipped cream, to serve
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas 4.
2. Butter and flour four individual ovenproof pudding basins.
3. In a small pan, bring to the boil the dates, water and bicarbonate of soda. Simmer gently for 2 minutes until soft. Leave to cool.
4. In a food processor or standing mixer, cream together the butter and sugar until fluffy.
5. Add the vanilla extract and salt.
6. Beat in the eggs one at a time and then fold in the flour.
7. Beat in the date mixture.
8. Pour into the greased basins and bake for 25-30 minutes until springy.
9. To make the sauce, melt the butter in a saucepan, add the sugar and syrup and simmer gently until dissolved. Sir in the cream and bring just to the boil. Remove from the heat and set aside.
10. Run the tip of a knife round the rim of the puddings and turn out into a shallow baking dish.
11. Pour about half the sauce over the top. Place under a preheated hot grill until caramelised and sticky.
12. Serve with the whipped cream and remaining sauce.
Rate This Recipe