- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes plus 1-2 hrs marinating
- Effort: easy
For the beef
- 4 sirloin steaks, about 250g each
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tsp chinese five spice
- 3 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 2 tbsp rice wine
- 0.5 tsp salt
- 0.5 tsp ground white pepper
For the sauce
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil
- 200 g broccoli florets
- 200 g mangetout
- 4 red chillies, seeds removed and chopped
- 2 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 3 tbsp rice wine
- 400 ml hot water
- 2 tbsp cornflour
1. Cut the steak into strips, about 0.5 cm wide and tip into a mixing bowl.
2. Mix the crushed garlic with the five spice powder, soy sauce, wine and seasoning. Pour over the beef and set aside for 1-2 hours.
3. Heat the vegetable oil in a wok, add the beef along with its marinade and stir fry over a high heat for 2-3 minutes, until just cooked.
4. Tip in the broccoli and mangetout and stir fry for another minute before adding the red chillies, soy sauce and rice wine. Stir briskly for another 30 seconds or so.
5. Pour in the hot water and bring the sauce to the boil.
6. Add the cornflour and water mixture to the pan while still over the heat. Bring to a simmer and stir until thickened.
7. Garnish with spring onions and serve the beef with steamed jasmine rice.
Rate This Recipe