- Serves: 4 as a starter, or 4-6 as part of a banquet
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes plus 3 mins soaking
- Effort: easy
- 40 live mussels
- 375 ml cold water
- 90 g bean-thread vermicelli noodles
- 1/2 red pepper
- 60 ml peanut oil
- 7 spring onions, cut into 5cm lengths
- 4 slices of ginger
- 3 clove garlic, crushed
- 3 large red chillies, cut in half lengthways and deseeded
- 1 small red onion, cut in half and then into wedges
- 8 tsp salted black beans
- 60 ml rice wine
- 2 tsp white sugar
- 8 tsp oyster sauce
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- 160 ml chicken stock
- 2 bird's eye chillies, sliced
- 2 tsp chinese black vinegar
- handful of sprigs coriander
Tips and Suggestions
"Bean-thread vermicelli is made from mung-bean flour," explains Kylie, "because the noodles become transparent when cooked, they are also called cellophane or glass noodles. They're available dried from Chinese food shops, and need only a brief soak in boiling water before being added to this stir-fry."
1. Scrub, de-beard, rinse and drain the mussels, then put in a wok with the cold water.
2. Place over high heat, cover and steam until shells open. As mussels begin to open, immediately remove from wok with tongs and place in a bowl; discard any that won't open.
3. Drain the water from wok and wipe clean with kitchen paper.
4. Soak the bean-thread vermicelli in boiling water for 3 minutes, or until softened; drain and set aside.
5. Remove the seeds and membranes from the red pepper. Cut into strips 1.5cm wide, then cut each strip into squares.
6. Heat the peanut oil in a hot wok and stir-fry spring onions, ginger, garlic, halved red chillies, onion, black beans and capsicum for 3 minutes, or until fragrant.
7. Add in the steamed mussels and drained vermicelli and stir-fry for a further 2 minutes.
8. Pour the shao hsing wine around sides of wok in a circular motion, then stir in sugar, oyster sauce, sesame oil, stock and bird's eye chillies; stir-fry for 3 minutes to create a rich sauce.
9. Finally, add in the black vinegar and coriander and serve immediately.
Rate This Recipe