- Serves: 3
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Prep Time: 25 minutes plus cooling and freezing
- Effort: easy
- 175 g caster sugar
- 250 ml water
- 450 g strawberries, hulled
- juice of 1 oranges, strained
- 1 dried chilli, crushed and ground
- small sprigs mint
- 12-14 strawberries, sliced
1. Put the sugar and water in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Stir until the sugar has dissolved. Bring to the boil, then remove from the heat and cool.
2. Put the strawberries in a food processor or blender with the strained orange juice. Whiz to a purée. Add the chilli and whiz again.
3. Push the mixture through a fine sieve set over a bowl, pressing with the back of a wooden spoon to get rid of the seeds.
4. Mix the cooled syrup with the purée and pour into a freezer-proof container. Cover the surface with cling film. Freeze for 2 hours, or until ice crystals form around the edges of the sorbet. Tip into a bowl and whisk until smooth. Then return to the freezer for another 4 hours. Alternatively, use an ice-cream maker, following the manufacturer's instructions.
5. About 30 minutes before serving, transfer the sorbet to the fridge to soften slightly.
6. Arrange a mint sprig and some sliced strawberries on each serving dish. Place scoops of sorbet in the centre.
Rate This Recipe