- Serves: 8
- Cook Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Effort: medium
For the meringue
- 5 egg whites
- 275 g caster sugar
- 1 vanilla pod
- 1 tsp cornflour
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
For the topping
- 300 ml double cream
- icing sugar, to taste
- 900 g strawberries
- 100 g caster sugar
- 2 - 3 passion fruit
- icing sugar, for dusting
1. Preheat the oven to 160C/gas 2. On a sheet of greaseproof paper, draw a 30cm diameter circle. Flip the greaseproof paper over onto a baking tray - the circle will be your template when shaping the meringue.
2. Split the vanilla pod and scrape away the seeds - leave the seeds on one side while you make the meringue.
3. For the meringue, whisk the egg whites until stiff. Gradually whisk in the sugar and continue whipping until the meringue becomes thick and glossy. Stir in the corn flour, vinegar and vanilla seeds.
4. Spread one third of the mixture onto the greaseproof paper in an even layer, keeping the mixture within the circle you have drawn.
5. Spoon another third of the mixture around the edges of the first meringue round, and shape into a thick border, about 2.5cm thick and 2cm high. Swirl the remaining meringue mixture over the base.
6. Bake for about 1½ hours, until the outside is crisp but the centre still slightly soft. Remove from the oven and leave to cool.
7. Whip the double cream with enough icing sugar to sweeten, until it becomes soft peaks. Pile into the centre of the meringue.
8. Chop one third of the strawberries and tip into a food processor with the caster sugar. Process until smooth.
9. Quarter the remaining strawberries and combine with the strawberry puree. Pour the fruit over the cream in the pavlova.
10. Halve the passion fruit with a sharp knife. Using a teaspoon, scoop out the pulp and swirl the flesh over the strawberries.
11. Dust with icing sugar and serve straight away.
Rate This Recipe