- Serves: Makes 12 cupcakes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes plus cooling
- Effort: easy
- 150 g butter, softened
- 150 g caster sugar
- 1 lemon, finely grated zest only
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 150 g self-raising flour, sifted
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
For the cream topping
- 300 ml double cream
- 50 g icing sugar
- 4 heaped tbsp lemon curd
- 12 small-ish strawberries, or 6 larger ones halved
Tips and Suggestions
When you add the lemon juice to the cupcake mix it will start to puff up because the baking powder reacts with the acidity, this is nothing to worry about. But, it's a good idea to cook the cakes as soon as the mix is ready.
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan/ gas 4.
2. Cream together the butter and sugar until light, fluffy and pale.
3. Add the lemon zest, then gradually mix in the beaten egg alternating with the flour to stop the mix from curdling. Finally, stir through the lemon juice.
4. Place 12 paper cupcake cases into a muffin tin and divide the mixture between them.
5. Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden and springy to the touch. Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack.
6. For cream topping: pour the cream into a large mixing bowl and sift in the icing sugar. Now whip the cream until it forms stiff peaks.
7. In a separate bowl, beat the lemon curd a little to make it smooth. If it is very thick, add a splash of water so that you have a thick but runny consistency. Pour two thirds of the curd into the cream and lightly fold through ' there is no need to be too thorough.
8. Pipe the cream onto the cupcakes, then top each one with a strawberry. Drizzle on the remaining lemon curd and serve.
Rate This Recipe