- Serves: 8
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 5 egg whites
- 225 g caster sugar
- 1 tsp cornflour
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 300 ml whipping cream
- 2 punnets of strawberries, hulled and roughly chopped
- icing sugar, for dusting
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas 4.
2. In a large bowl, whisk the egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually whisk in the caster sugar until stiff peaks form.
3. In a small bowl, mix together the cornflour, wine vinegar and vanilla extract.
4. Whisk the cornflour mixture into the beaten egg whites.
5. Spoon the meringue mixture into a 33 x 23cm Swiss roll tin, lined with baking parchment, spreading evenly.
6. Bake for 20-25 minutes until slightly coloured but still soft. Remove and cool completely.
7. Whisk the cream until stiff.
8. Dust a large sheet of baking parchment with icing sugar. Turn out the cooled meringue onto the baking parchment.
9. Spread evenly with the whipped cream, then top generously with strawberries.
10. Carefully roll up the meringue to form a roulade.
11. Serve in slices with cream.
Rate This Recipe