- Serves: 6
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the shortcake:
- 175 g self-raising flour, sieved
- 100 g butter, cut into cubes
- 75 g caster sugar
- 1 egg, yolk
- 1 tbsp water
For the filling:
- 225 g strawberries
- 600 ml double cream, whipped lightly
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- icing sugar, to garnish
1. Set the oven to 190°C/gas 5. Lightly grease 2 baking trays. Rub the flour and butter together in a bowl until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
2. Stir in the sugar, egg yolk and water and bring together to form a soft dough.
3. Cut the dough in half. Roll out each piece of dough into a rectangular shape. Trim the edges to make a neat rectangle. Cut the dough diagonally to make equal sized triangle shapes. Place onto the prepared baking sheets and bake for 15 minutes until golden. Leave to cool.
4. Chop 175g of the strawberries into small pieces and fold into the whipped cream. Fold in a teaspoon of caster sugar.
5. To serve, place a shortcake triangle onto the plate and cover with the strawberry cream mixture. Arrange another shortcake triangle at a different angle onto the strawberry cream.
6. Cut the remaining strawberries in half, dust the shortcake with icing sugar and garnish with the strawberries.
Rate This Recipe