- Serves: 1
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 40 minutes plus 1 hour resting
- Effort: easy
For the pastry
- 168 g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 85 g icing sugar
- 125 g chilled butter, diced
- 2 eggs
For the filling
- 12 strawberries, hulled and halved
- 1/2 lemon, juice only
- 40 g palm sugar
- 50 g crème fraîche
- 50 g single cream
1. For the pastry: place the flour, sugar and butter into a food processor and pulse until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs (alternatively, rub the butter into the flour and sugar with your fingertips).
2. Add the eggs to the mixture one at a time, pulsing until the dough starts to come together. Turn out onto a work surface and shape into a smooth disc. Wrap the dough in cling film and set aside in the fridge to rest for 30 minutes.
3. For the filling: place half of the strawberries into a small non-reactive saucepan and add the lemon juice, palm sugar and one tablespoon of water. Cook for 15-17 minutes over a medium-low heat, or until the strawberries have broken down to a jam-like consistency and the temperature of the mixture reaches 150C (check using a digital thermometer). Remove from the heat and set aside to cool.
4. Remove the dough from fridge and roll out on a lightly floured work surface until 5mm thick. Use to line a 10cm loose-based pastry tin, pressing down lightly. Cover with cling film and return to the fridge for a further 30 minutes.
5. Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4.
6. Line the chilled pastry with a circle of baking paper and fill with baking beans or rice. Bake for 10 minutes, then remove the beans and paper, return the pastry case to the oven and bake for a further 8-10 minutes, or until golden-brown and crisp. Set aside to cool.
7. Whisk the single cream in a bowl until soft peaks form. Gently fold in the crème fraîche.
8. Brush the base of the pastry case with some of the strawberry jam mixture and spoon over the crème fraîche mixture, smoothing over the top with a palette knife. Arrange the remaining strawberry halves on top, then brush over the remaining strawberry jam. Serve.
Rate This Recipe