- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Prep Time: 40 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the bread
- 500 g plain flour
- 1 tbsp olive oil
For the stuffing
- 3-4 pork sausages, of your choice
- splash olive oil
- 1 red onion, halved and very finely sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely sliced
- 1/2 savoy cabbage, shredded
- 200 g beaufort cheese, or gruyere, grated
- 2 tbsp soured cream
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4
2. Sieve the flour into a bowl and mix with ½ tsp sea salt. Add the olive oil and then enough water to bring to a soft dough. Remove from the bowl and knead on a floured work surface for a minute or two to combine all the ingredients until you have a smooth dough.
3. Meanwhile, fry the sausages in a hot oiled frying pan. Once cooked remove and leave to cool down. Add the onions and garlic to the pan to cook in the sausage fat. Cook until lightly golden and cooked through then add the cabbage and a pinch of salt. Sauté the cabbage until tender.
4. Slice the cooled sausages and mix with the cabbage and onions off the heat. Stir in the cheese and sour cream to bring the mixture together. Taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary.
5. Divide the dough into 4 balls and roll these out one at a time on a floured work surface until about 2mm thickness. Divide the cabbage mixture into 4 and place one portion into the middle of this disc of dough.
6. Brush the outside rim of the dough with water and then seal shut like a calzone pizza or Cornish pasty. Prick a couple holes in the bread to allow steam to escape. Trim off any excess dough and repeat the process with the remaining dough and filling.
7. Bake in the oven for about 25 minutes, or until the dough is crisp on the outside and the filling is steaming. Remove and allow to rest for a couple of minutes before serving.
Rate This Recipe