- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 4 large globe artichokes
- 8 handfuls of flat leaf parsley, roughly torn
- 8 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 24 cherry tomatoes, quartered or 4 x medium-sized tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 8 tinned anchovies
- 4 tsp capers
- 8 pitted green olives, sliced
- 1.5 litres vegetable stock
- black pepper
- crusty bread, for serving
1. With a small sharp knife, remove the bottom outer leaves of the artichokes and chop off the stalk. Trim the base slightly so the bottom is flat and the artichoke can stand up without falling.
2. With your fingers, gently open the artichoke until you can see the hairy choke. With a teaspoon, remove the hairy choke as it is inedible. (Please note, to avoid your hands getting black while preparing the artichokes, wash them with lemon juice).
3. Season the cavity of the artichokes with salt and pepper and fill each with a handful of parsley, 1 sliced garlic clove, 2 anchovy fillets, 6 cherry tomatoes, 1 teaspoon of capers and 2 sliced green olives, gently pressing all the ingredients in.
4. Pour the vegetable stock in a large saucepan and add the filled artichokes, base side-down. Pack them in tightly so they don?t wobble whilst cooking, wedging them in place, if necessary, with a potato. The stock should come halfway up the side of the artichokes, so add more stock if necessary.
5. Add 2 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil to each filled artichoke and sprinkle the remaining parsley over them.
6. Bring the stock to the boil, reduce the heat, cover with a lid and simmer for 1 hour 15 minutes.
7. Using a large slotted spoon, carefully lift out each filled artichoke separately and place on 4 serving dishes.
8. Gently open up the artichokes, revealing the filling. Pour 3-4 ladles of the vegetable stock over each artichoke and drizzle with extra-virgin olive oil.
9. Serve at once with crusty bread.
Rate This Recipe