- Serves: 8
- Cook Time:
- Prep Time: 45 minutes
- Effort: medium
For the stuffed veal breast
- 1 x 2.5 kg boneless veal fillets, bones reserved
- 225 g minced pork
- 1 lemon, grated zest only
- 12 large green olives, pitted
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 bulb fennel, chopped
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 thick slice white bread
- 1 egg, beaten
For the sauce
- 1 onion, chopped
- 300 ml veal chicken stock
- 300 ml white wine
- black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 200C/gas 6. Put the bones in a roasting tin and cook for 30 minutes or so, until the bones are browned and the fat has been rendered. Reserve the bones and fat. Reduce the oven temperature to 150C/gas 1.
2. Cut the breast horizontally through the centre, leaving one end in tact. Open it out and lay it out, butterfly style, on a clean work surface.
3. Spread a thin layer of pork mince almost to the edges and scatter over the lemon zest and olives.
4. Heat the oil in a frying pan and fry the chopped fennel and fennel seeds together until softened.
5. Dip the bread into the egg until soaked.
6. Spread the fennel mixture over the pork and then cover with the eggy bread.
7. Roll the breast up gently, tucking in any filling that falls out. Tie with kitchen string to secure.
8. Heat the reserved veal fat in a casserole dish and fry the onion for 3-4 minutes until softened.
9. Stir in the stock and wine. Bring the mixture to simmering point and then add the veal breast. Cover with a circle of greaseproof paper that has been cut to fit and put on the casserole lid. Transfer to the oven and cook for 2½ hours.
10. Remove the meat and leave to rest for 10 minutes.
11. Meanwhile, bubble the sauce until reduced and thickened.
12. Carefully slice the meat, cutting the string away as you carve. Pour over the sauce and serve with mashed potatoes.
Rate This Recipe