- Serves: 8-10
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 220 g plain flour
- 01 pinches salt
- half tsp ground cinnamon
- 180 g lightly salted butter
- 1 egg
For the filling:
- 115 g mixed candied peel
- 115 g ground almonds
- 45 g butter, melted
- 1 egg, separated
1. Preheat the oven to 200ºC/Gas 6.
2. Sift the flour with the salt and cinnamon. Rub in the
butter until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add the sugar and mix in with a knife.
3. Beat the egg lightly and add just enough to form a soft dough.
4. Knead the dough until smooth. Divide in half. Press the first half into a greased 25cm tart tin. Chill the remaining dough until needed.
5. To make the filling, mix the candied peel with the ground almonds. Pour in the melted butter, stirring well, then add the egg yolk. Mix well.
6. Spread the candied fruit mixture over the dough-lined tart tin.
7. Roll out the remaining dough on a lightly floured board into a circle that just fits into the tart tin.
8. Lay the dough circle over the stuffing and press the edges firmly together. Brush with lightly beaten egg white.
9. Bake at 200C/400F/Gas Mark 6 for 30 minutes, until nicely browned. Serve warm or cold, cut into squares.
Rate This Recipe