- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 35 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 16 green lip mussels
For the filling
- 250 g short grain rice, soaked and boiled
- 1/2 coconut, grated
- 3 shallots, diced
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds, toasted and ground
- 1/2 tsp ground fennel seeds
For the masala
- 2 tsp chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 01 pinches garam masala
- dash of water
1. Wash the mussels and open each one out slightly without breaking the shells.
2. Mix the rice with the coconut, shallots, cumin and fennel seed powder. Grind to a paste in a food processor, or pound until smooth using a mortar and pestle. Add a little water while grinding the mixture - enough to make a soft dough-like texture.
3. Generously fill the spiced rice mixture into each opened mussel - there should be about a 1.5cm layer of filling between the two mussel shells.
4. Place the mussels in a steamer and steam for about one hour before removing them from the pan.
5. For the masala: mix the spices with a dash of water to make a slack paste. Remove the shells from the mussels and carefully detach the filling along with the mussel flesh. Coat each mussel with the masala and set aside for about 30 minutes.
6. Shallow-fry the mussels in hot oil until crisp and drain on absorbent paper. Serve hot as a starter or cocktail snack.
Rate This Recipe