- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 1 kg boned pork loin, (ask your butcher to do this and keep the trimmings)
For the stuffing
- 250 g leeks, sliced
- 55 g butter pork loin trimmings, finely chopped
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- black pepper
- 2 tbsp thyme, leaves only
- 4 clove garlic, chopped
- 300 ml malt vinegar
1. Preheat the oven to 230°C/gas 8.
2. Over a medium-high heat on the hob, place a sauté pan and add the butter. When the butter has melted, sweat the leeks for 5 minutes or until tender, set aside to cool.
3. To make the pork stuffing take a large bowl and in it mix together the loin trimmings, nutmeg, cumin, thyme, garlic and cooked leeks. Season well and set aside.
4. Next prepare the pork loin. For the perfect crackling, pour boiling water and then vinegar over the pork loin to help tighten up the skin. Using a sharp knife, slash the pork rind evenly.
5. Open up the pork and trim out any excess fat before seasoning well. Place the stuffing onto the loin and fold the pork loin over, tie securely with string, then season the top and place in a roasting pan.
6. Roast for 15 minutes in the oven before reducing the temperature to 175°C/gas 4 for 55-60 minutes. Allow the meat to rest for ten minutes before carving.
Rate This Recipe