- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 5 minutes plus 20 min soaking time
- Effort: easy
- 50 g sticky rice, also known as glutinous rice
- 625 ml coconut milk
- 200 g tinned sugar palm fruit, drained, rinsed and sliced, or 4 fresh sugar palm fruit if available
- 3 tbsp liquid palm sugar, or shaved palm sugar, also known as jaggery
- 80 ml coconut cream
Tips and Suggestions
Tinned sugar palm fruit and palm sugar is available online from some British supermarkets and from Asian retailers.
1. Soak the rice in water for 20 minutes, then strain. Add the rice to a saucepan, along with half a teaspoon of salt and half the coconut milk. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the rice softens.
2. Meanwhile, if using fresh sugar palm fruit, peel the fruit and remove the stones, working over a bowl to catch the juices. Thinly slice the fruit, then set the juice aside. Add the sugar palm fruit and remaining coconut milk to the rice.
3. Stir, then cook for a further 5 minutes, or until the rice becomes translucent. Now stir in the palm sugar and cook for a further 2 minutes.
4. Divide the rice among four bowls. Drizzle each with a tablespoon of the coconut cream and serve warm.
Rate This Recipe