- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 12 small beetroot, uncooked and unpeeled
For the dressing
- 1 orange, finely grated zest and juice
- 1 dashes of lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp clear honey
- 55 ml olive oil
- 2 tbsp snipped chives
Tips and Suggestions
:A bonus of buying beets resplendent with foliage is that the leaves, or beet greens as they are known, make a delicious vegetable when cooked in the same way as spinach.
1. Cut the leafy tops from the beets, and if they're fresh and tender, reserve them to be cooked separately as a side dish. Refer to the cook's notes below for more details.
2. Place the beets in a large pan and cover with cold water.
3. Bring to the boil and simmer for 15-25 minutes depending on size. When pierced with a knife, they should be tender.
4. Drain and leave on one side to cool.
5. When the beets are cold, remove their skins and roots, and cut into 5mm thickness slices.
6. Arrange the slices in a shallow serving dish and set aside
7. Mix the dressing ingredients together and season with salt and pepper.
8. Pour the dressing over the beets and serve straight away.
Rate This Recipe