- Serves: 6-8
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 35 minutes plus 1 hr total chilling
- Effort: easy
For the pastry
- 175 g butter
- 50 g caster sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 250 g plain flour
For the filling
- 100 g dark chocolate
- 500 ml full fat crème fraîche
For the topping
- 750 g mixed summer berries
- 2-3 tbsp orange liqueur, (optional)
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- 1 small orange, zest only (optional)
Tips and Suggestions
The pastry contains one egg yolk, which makes enough pastry to line two tart tins. As it isn't practical to use half an egg, pop any unused pastry into the freezer. For an almost instant, hassle free pastry case, simply grate the frozen pastry straight into the tart tin and press lightly with the fingers to evenly line the tin.
1. Beat the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Stir in the egg yolk and continue to beat until smooth.
2. Add the flour and bring the mixture together to make a smooth dough. Wrap in plastic wrap and leave to rest for 20-30 minutes in the fridge.
3. Preheat the oven to 200C/gas 6. Remove the pastry from the fridge and roll out to line the base and sides of a 23cm loose-bottomed flan tin. Return to the fridge for 10-15 minutes to rest.
4. Bake for 10-15 minutes, until the pastry is light golden and crisp.
5. Melt the chocolate in a bowl over a saucepan of barely simmering water - or microwave for 1-2 minutes.
6. Allow the pastry to cool for 1 minute or so, then brush the chocolate evenly over the base and sides of the case. Refrigerate for 10 minutes, until set.
7. Spoon the crème fraîche over the base of the pastry case and top with the berries.
8. Sprinkle the berries with the orange liqueur, and scatter over the caster sugar. Decorate with shredded orange zest, and serve in slices.
Rate This Recipe