- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 6 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes plus 45 mins marinating
- Effort: medium
- 12 sardines, cleaned, boned and the heads removed
- 300 ml white wine vinegar
- olive oil, for shallow-frying, plus extra for drizzling
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tbsp thyme, leaves only
- freshly ground black pepper
- lemon wedges
1. Lay the sardines flat and open, flesh side up, in a shallow wide dish. Pour over the vinegar and leave to stand for 45 minutes.
2. Dry the sardines on kitchen paper and fold back into their original shape.
3. In a large frying pan, preheat the olive oil. Shallow fry the sardines for 2-3 minutes each side with the garlic and thyme leaves.
4. Return the cooked sardines to a clean shallow dish. Season with freshly ground black pepper, drizzle over some olive oil and serve hot or cold with lemon wedges.
Rate This Recipe