- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 50 g butter
- 8 lean back bacon, rashers, cut into small strips
- 125 g button mushrooms, finely chopped
- 8 eggs
- 4 tbsp double cream
- 1-2 tbsp finely chopped chervil
- 4 slices white bread
- vegetable oil, for frying
Tips and Suggestions
For a vegetarian version, you can replace the bacon with extra mushrooms or some wilted spinach.
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4.
2. Heat a large non-stick frying pan over a high heat and add the butter. When the butter is foaming, add the bacon and fry for 2-3 minutes, or until starting to colour. Add the mushrooms and fry for a further 2-3 minutes, or until the mushrooms have softened.
3. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper and remove from the heat. Divide the bacon and mushroom mixture evenly among eight ramekins.
4. Break one egg into each ramekin and top each with half a tablespoon of double cream. Sprinkle over the finely chopped chervil.
5. Place the ramekins on a baking sheet and bake for 8-10 minutes, or until the egg whites have set and the yolks are still runny.
6. Meanwhile, cut the crusts off the bread and slice into narrow fingers. Heat a drizzle of vegetable oil in a frying pan and fry the bread fingers for about one minute on each side, or until golden-brown and crisp. Remove from the pan and drain on kitchen paper.
7. Serve two ramekins per person and place the bread fingers alongside for dipping.
Rate This Recipe