- Serves: 4-6
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 25 minutes plus cooling
- Effort: medium
- 25 g butter
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 750 ml vegetable stock
- 250 g risotto rice
- 75 ml cream
- 80 g sun-dried tomatoes, in oil
- 50 g parmesan, finely grated
- handful of basil
- black pepper
- 1 mozzarella, chopped into small cubes
- 2 eggs, beaten
- freshly grated breadcrumbs, for coating
- vegetable oil, for deep-frying
1. Melt the butter in a heavy-based saucepan. Add the garlic and fry gently until softened, around 2-3 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, in a separate saucepan, bring the stock to the boil.
3. Add the rice to the garlic butter, coating thoroughly. Add a ladleful of the hot vegetable stock and cook, stirring, until the stock has evaporated.
4. Repeat the process adding first the stock and then the cream until the rice is 'al dente'.
5. Remove the rice from direct heat and stir in the sun-dried tomatoes, Parmesan and basil. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper, bearing in mind the saltiness of the sun-dried tomatoes and Parmesan. Set aside to cool.
6. Once cooled, form the mixture into bite-sized portions and mould each portion around a mozzarella cube forming 'suppli'.
7. Coat the suppli in the beaten egg then roll in breadcrumbs.
8. Heat the vegetable oil in a wok or deep fat-fryer. Fry the suppli in batches until golden on all sides, remove with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper.
9. Serve warm or cold as a snack or pre-dinner nibble.
Rate This Recipe