- Cook Time: 3 hours 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 225 g self-raising flour
- 115 g suet
- 50 ml water
- 75 ml milk
- 115 g chilled butter
- 115 g brown sugar
- 1 large thick skinned, un-waxed lemon
1. Mix the flour and the suet together in a large bowl, then add the water and the milk. Stir together and work into soft dough.
2. Cut a quarter of the dough and set aside for the lid.
3. Roll the rest of the dough into a large circle on a floured board. Lay the dough inside a well-buttered 1.4 litre pudding basin making sure it covers well to the top with some over-hang.
4. Put half the butter into the dough-lined basin, then cover with half the sugar. Prick the outside of the lemon with a skewer and place on top of the sugar and butter. Top the lemon with the remaining butter and sugar.
5. Roll out the remaining dough to form a circle for the lid.
6. Place the lid on top of the pudding, pinching the edges together and sealing well.
7. Cover the pudding with pleated greaseproof paper and pleated foil.
8. Steam the pudding for 3 to 3 1/2 hours until cooked through. Serve.
Rate This Recipe