- Serves: 2
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the prawns:
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 cm ginger, finely chopped
- 8 raw tiger prawns, shelled
- black pepper
- juice of 2 limes
- small bunch of coriander, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp tamarind and coconut sauce
- 3 tomatoes, peeled and very finely chopped
For the coconut rice:
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ¼ onions, finely chopped
- 150 g basmati rice, washed and cooked
- 300 ml coconut cream
- small handful of coriander, chopped
1. Heat the oil in a frying pan over a medium heat and gently fry the onion, garlic and ginger for 1 minute.
2. Add the prawns, season with salt and freshly ground black pepper and stir in the limejuice and coriander.
3. Add the tamarind and coconut sauce and the tomatoes. Simmer the mixture for 2-3 minutes. Remove from the heat, cover and keep warm.
4. Meanwhile, cook the coconut rice. Heat the oil in a saucepan and gently fry the chopped onion until softened, but not brown. Add the rice and stir. Pour in the coconut cream and add enough water to just cover the rice. Cook for 15-20 minutes until the rice is soft and has absorbed all the liquid. Fold in the coriander and serve immediately with the Swahili Prawns.
Rate This Recipe