- Serves: 15 (as part of a buffet)
- Cook Time: 3 hours 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 3 kg ham, either on the bone or boned and rolled
- 4 litres water
For the glaze
- 2 egg yolks
- 50 g breadcrumbs
- 150 g wholegrain mustard
- 100 g dark brown sugar
1. Place the ham in a large bowl, cover with cold water and leave to soak for 12 hours.
2. Preheat the oven to 130C/gas ½. Put the ham in a large roasting tray, add the water and roast in the oven for about 3 hours and 15 minutes, until a meat thermometer inserted in the ham reads 75C/170F.
3. Mix together all the glaze ingredients in a bowl, along with a little pepper to taste. Remove the ham from the oven and leave it to cool slightly. Raise the oven temperature to 220C/gas 7.
4. Remove the rind from the ham and score a diamond pattern in the top layer of fat. Brush the glaze over the ham and return to the oven. Roast for 10 minutes or until the ham is golden-brown. Leave to cool before serving.
Rate This Recipe