- Serves: 3
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large aubergine
- 1 stick celery
- 1 pepper
- 1 red chilli, seeds removed and finely chopped
- 400 g canned chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 1 splashes red wine vinegar
- 1 small bunches spring onions, finely chopped
- 1 small handfuls pine kernels, toasted
- 1 small handfuls sultanas
- 1 tbsp capers
- 1 small handfuls black olives, roughly chopped
- 3 thick slices country loaf bread
1. Heat the olive oil in a frying pan. Tip in the aubergine and fry for 5 minutes.
2. Add the celery, Romero pepper and red chilli and cook for 3-4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Using a sieve, drain the excess liquid from the tinned tomatoes, then add them to the pan along with the sugar and red wine vinegar. Add the spring onions, pine nuts, sultanas, capers and olives and give it a quick stir.
4. Grill or toast the bread. Spoon the mixture onto the toast and finish with a few leaves of fresh basil.
Rate This Recipe