- Serves: 2
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 1 kg live mussels, clean and bearded
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely sliced
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh ginger
- 4 red chillies, finely sliced, seeds intact
- 150 ml white wine vinegar
- 6 tbsp sugar
- 1 splashes fish sauce
- 1 lime, juice only
- 1 handfuls coriander, finely chopped
- 1-2 tbsp chopped basil
- wedges of limes, to serve
1. Heat a little water in a large saucepan until boiling, add the mussels and put on the lid. Steam for 1-3 minutes until open. Discard any that don't open.
2. Put the onion, garlic, ginger, chillies, vinegar, sugar, fish sauce and lime juice into a wok. Bring to the boil to dissolve the sugar - the sugar takes away from the harshness of the vinegar.
3. Add the fresh herbs and toss the open mussels in the sauce. Serve with a few wedges of lime.
Rate This Recipe