- Serves: 4-6
- Cook Time: 16 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes plus 4 hrs to marinate
- Effort: easy
- 1 kg chicken wings, cut in half through the joint, tips discarded
For the marinade:
- 1 tbsp sichuan peppercorns, toasted, and ground in a coffee grinder
- 1 tbsp finely chopped garlic
- 3 tbsp finely chopped ginger
- 3 tbsp finely grated orange zest
- 4 spring onions, cut into 2.5cm lengths
- 1 red chilli, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp clear honey
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 450 ml corn oil
- 125 ml sesame oil
- black pepper
For the garnish:
- 1 tbsp finely grated orange zest
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- 2 tbsp snipped chives
1. In a pestle and mortar, blend together the peppercorns, garlic, ginger, orange zest, spring onions and chilli until you have a paste.
2. In a large bowl, combine the honey, soy sauce, corn oil and sesame oil, then add the paste from the pestle and mortar. Stir well and season to taste. Add the chicken wings, turn to coat them in the marinade, then allow to marinate for at least 4 hours, or preferably overnight.
3. Cook the chicken wings on a hot griddle pan or barbecue for 7-8 minutes each side or until thoroughly cooked and golden brown.
4. Garnish the chicken with a mixture of orange zest, chopped parsley and chives.
Rate This Recipe