- Serves: 4-6
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 470 g morello cherries, in kirsch syrup
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 55 g caster sugar
- 140 g mascarpone
- 30 g unsalted butter
- 85 g dark chocolate, 70% cocoa solids chopped
- vanilla ice cream, or cream, to serve
1. Preheat the oven to 190°C/gas 5.
2. Drain the cherries, reserving the syrup.
3. Place the egg yolks and 30g of caster sugar in a large bowl. Using an electric whisk, beat the mixture until pale and cream-like.
4. Add the mascarpone and whisk for a further minute.
5. In a large clean bowl, using a clean, dry whisk, whisk the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
6. Add the remaining sugar and whisk again for a further 2 minutes until stiff and shiny.
7. Using a large metal spoon, fold 1 spoonful of the egg whites into the mascarpone mixture to loosen it.
8. Gently fold in the remaining egg white.
9. Melt the butter in a non-stick 30cm ovenproof frying pan until foaming.
10. Add the egg mixture and fry over a medium heat for 1 minute.
11. Sprinkle over the cherries and chocolate and transfer to the oven. Bake in for approximately 20 minutes until golden and just set.
12. To serve, pour over the reserved cherry syrup, take to the table, cut into wedges and serve with vanilla ice cream.
Rate This Recipe