- Serves: 8
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes plus 15 mins soaking
- Effort: easy
- 450 g quick-cook couscous
- 600 ml boiling water
- a few strands saffron
- 150 g raisins
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 4 tbsp flaked almonds
- 75 g dried apricots, chopped
- 2 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 3 tbsp clear honey
- sea salt
- 2 oranges, peeled, cut into segments and chopped
1. Place the couscous in a large bowl and pour over the boiling water. Mix in the saffron and set aside to soak and soften.
2. Place the raisins in a bowl and pour over enough boiling water to cover the raisins. Set aside for 15 minutes, then drain, reserving the soaking water.
3. Add enough cold water to the soaking water to measure 500ml.
4. Heat the butter in a heavy-based, lidded saucepan, or in the bottom of a couscousière.
5. Add in the onion and fry, stirring often, over medium-low heat until it begins to turn golden.
6. Add the raisins, almonds, dried apricots, cinnamon, turmeric, ginger, sea salt and honey, plus the 500ml soaking water. Cover the pan and simmer for 25-30 minutes.
7. Meanwhile, rub the couscous between the palms of your hands to break down any lumps. Place the couscous in the top part of the couscousière or in a steamer above the simmering sauce and steam for 25-30 minutes.
8. Transfer the steamed couscous to a serving dish and toss with the sauce and the chopped orange. Serve at once.
Rate This Recipe