- Serves: 4-6
- Cook Time: 2 hours 25 minutes
- Prep Time: 25 minutes plus resting
- Effort: medium
- 1 bone-in leg of lamb
- 3 heads garlic
- 1/2 canned salted anchovies, in oil
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 3 tbsp stem ginger syrup, (from a jar of preserved ginger)
- 130 g demerara sugar
- mixed salad leaves
- potato salad
1. Preheat the oven to 240C/gas 9.
2. Cut the garlic heads in half and place cut side up in a roasting tin.
3. Tear each anchovy into 3 or 4 pieces.
4. Pierce the lamb leg with the tip of a sharp knife then push a piece of anchovy into the hole. Repeat all over the surface of the leg until all the anchovies are used up.
5. Place the lamb on top of the garlic in the roasting tray. Pour over the anchovy oil from the tin and rub in well. Season well with black pepper. Roast in the oven for 25 minutes.
6. Reduce the oven temperature to 160C/gas 3 and continue roasting for 1 hour 45 minutes.
7. Remove from the oven and pour off the excess fat. Let the joint stand for at least 45 minutes. The resting is important or the juices will start to run when you cut the meat.
8. Dab the meat with kitchen paper to remove excess fat. Slash with a sharp knife (craft, serrated or stanley knife is good) in lines across the leg (not too deep).
9. Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4.
10. Mix the demerara sugar with the ground ginger then mix in the ginger syrup. Brush or spread this mixture over the leg.
11. Put the joint back in the oven for 10-15 minutes to glaze.
12. Serve hot, warm or at room temperature with mixed salad leaves and potato salad, using some of the glazing and roasting juices made into a dressing with a little white wine vinegar and olive oil.
Rate This Recipe