- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 50 ml vegetable oil
- 600 g golden sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into largish, bite-sized chunks
- 1 pinches black pepper
- 2 small red chillies, chopped
- 1 handfuls sprig thyme
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 pineapples, peeled and cut into 8 slices (juice reserved)
- 1 onions, finely chopped
- 1 red peppers, sliced
- 75 g okra, blanched and chopped
- 1 handfuls fresh coriander leaves, chopped
For the curry sauce
- 3 tbsp curry paste, mild
- 400 g tinned coconut milk, low fat
- 100 ml vegetable stock
1. Preheat the oven to 220ºC/gas 7. Heat 75ml of the vegetable oil in a roasting tin in the oven. Add the sweet potato chunks, season well with salt and freshly ground pepper, shake well and add the chillies, thyme and garlic.
2. Roast for 30 minutes, until the sweet potato is soft, stirring the potatoes every 10 minutes or so.
3. Brush each of the pineapple slices with a little vegetable oil and cook on a hot ridged griddle pan for 2 minutes on each side until clear black strips appear. Place the grilled pineapple slices with their reserved juice in an ovenproof dish and put to one side.
4. To make the curry sauce, cook the curry paste in a saucepan for a few minutes to release the flavour, then add the coconut milk and bring to the boil. Add the stock and cook for 5 minutes.
5. Heat the remaining vegetable oil in a frying pan. Add the onion and fry until it starts to brown, about four minutes. Add the red pepper and roasted sweet potatoes. Cook for 3-4 minutes until the potato starts to break down.
6. Spoon in a little of the curry sauce to bind the mixture, then add the okra and coriander. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
7. Heat the griddled pineapple slices in the oven for a few minutes to warm through. Put a slice of pineapple on each plate, then spoon a quarter of the sweet potato mixture on top. Sit another slice of pineapple on top and drizzle some of the curry sauce around the edge. Serve.
Rate This Recipe