- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the gumbo spice mix
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp ground white pepper
For the gumbo
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 sticks celery, finely chopped
- 1 red onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 red chillies, seeds removed, finely chopped
- 250 ml beef stock
- 1 x 400 g can chopped tomatoes
- 200 g pieces okra, topped and tailed
- 1 bay leaf
- 400 g sweet potatoes, cut into 4cm cubes
- 100 g very finely shredded cabbage
- 1 small handfuls chopped parsley
- cooked rice, to serve
1. Mix all the ingredients together for the gumbo spice mix.
2. Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Tip in the celery, onion, garlic and chillies and gently fry until soft, stirring occasionally. Stir in the spice mix.
3. Pour in the stock, then add the tomatoes, the whole okra and bay leaf.
4. Bring to the boil then stir in the sweet potato and cabbage and simmer for 15 minutes or until the potato and okra are soft. Stir in the parsley. Serve with rice.
Rate This Recipe