- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes plus 1 hr draining
- Effort: medium
- 50 g black or split red lentils
- 100 g sweet potatoes
- 4 eggs
- 10 g mixed fresh herbs, chopped
- 200 g breadcrumbs
- 100 g plain flour
- grated nutmeg
- salt, and freshly ground pepper
- vegetable oil, for deep frying
1. Place the lentils in a pan, cover generously with cold water, bring to the boil and cook until tender. Drain, plunge into iced water to 'refresh' them, then drain for 1 hour to ensure that all the excess moisture has drained away.
2. Meanwhile, peel and cube the sweet potato. Place the sweet potato in a pan, cover with cold water, bring to the boil and cook until tender. Drain for 1 hour, to ensure that all the excess moisture has drained away.
3. Puree the drained sweet potatoes.
4. In a mixing bowl, mix together the pureed sweet potato, drained lentils, 2 eggs and mixed herbs. Season to taste with grated nutmeg, salt and freshly ground pepper. Mix well together until you have a nice firm mixture.
5. Take out 20g portions from the lentil potato mix and roll each portion out into a croquette shaped like a mini-log, about 5cm in length.
6. Place the flour and breadcrumbs in two separate plates. Break the remaining eggs into a shallow bowl and beat until mixed.
7. Dip each croquette first in the flour, then the beaten egg and then the breadcrumbs, coating thoroughly.
8. Heat the vegetable oil for deep-frying in a deep fat fryer or wok. Deep-fry the croquettes in batches until golden-brown on all sides.
9. Remove with a slotted spoon, drain on kitchen paper and serve at once.
Rate This Recipe