- Serves: 6-8
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes plus 30 mins standing
- Effort: easy
- 115 g plain flour
- 1 1/2 tsp grated nutmeg
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 900 g West Indian white-fleshed sweet potatoes, peeled and grated
- 350 g brown sugar
- 225 g dried fruit, sultanas, raisins or currants
- 1x400 ml can coconut milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp sugar, optional
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4. Grease a 20cm round cake tin.
2. Put the flour, spices and a pinch of salt into a mixing bowl. Stir in the grated sweet potatoes, brown sugar, dried fruits, coconut milk and vanilla extract. Mix well and allow the mixture to stand for 1 minute.
3. Pour the mixture into the greased tin, sprinkle with sugar if using. Bake for 40-60 minutes until it is firm to the touch. Remove from the oven and allow to stand for 30 minutes to set, before serving.
Rate This Recipe