- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the sweet rice (Mittha Chawal)
- 3-4 strands saffron
- 125 ml milk, warmed
- 50 g butter
- 4 whole cloves
- 2 green cardamom pods, crushed
- 6 almonds
- 8 pistachio nuts, slightly crushed
- 200 g (dry weight) basmati rice, cooked
- 50 g sugar
For the creamy apricot dessert (Malai Khubani)
- 50 g dried apricots, stones removed and chopped
- 2 tbsp water
- 140 ml double cream
- pinch ground cardamom, (optional)
- 1 tsp unsalted butter
- 5-6 cashew nuts
1. To make the sweet rice; put the saffron into a small bowl and pour over the warm milk. Leave it to stand.
2. Heat a pan, add the butter and when it has melted, add the cloves, cardamom pods and nuts.
3. Stir over the heat for 1 minute then tip in the cooked rice and continue to stir for 2 minutes.
4. Carefully, a little at a time, mix in the sugar, then pour in the saffron milk and stir for another minute.
5. Serve hot or cold.
6. To make the creamy apricot dessert; put the apricots into a blender with the water and blend to a coarse pulp.
7. Whisk the cream until stiff, then add the cardamom, if using.
8. Heat the butter in a pan and fry the cashew nuts for 2 minutes.
9. Remove from the pan, leave to cool on kitchen paper, and then crush them.
10. Fold the apricot pulp into the cream with the nuts.
11. Serve chilled with the sweet rice.
Rate This Recipe