- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Effort: medium
For the sweetbreads
- 400 g veal sweetbreads, blanched, peeled and cut into 4 pieces
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil, for frying
- 120 g unsalted butter
For the fricassee
- 2 knobs butter
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 160 g wild mushrooms, chopped in half
- lemon juice
- 80 ml water
- 1 tbsp tarragon
- 200 g spinach leaves, wilted in a little butter and seasoned
- 12 tips of asparagus
1. For the sweetbreads: put the sweetbreads in a pan of cold water. Slowly bring to the boil, and at the first sign of boiling, drain and refresh in cold water. Dry on kitchen paper, then peel and trim off any membranes. Cut each sweetbread into 4 pieces and season with salt and pepper.
2. In a large non stick pan, heat the oil and butter until foaming. Add the sweetbreads and fry until crisp and brown on the underside, then turn over and continue to cook for a further 5 minutes.
3. Remove from the pan and place on kitchen paper to drain.
4. For the fricassee heat the butter in a pan. Add the shallot and slowly fry with a pinch of salt until transparent.
5. Add the mushrooms and a few drops of lemon juice and cook for a minute. Add the water, bring to the boil and whisk in another knob of butter. Season with salt and pepper and then stir in the chopped tarragon.
6. To serve: put some wilted spinach in the middle of a large bowl. Spoon the fricassee around and top with the cooked asparagus and sweetbreads.
Rate This Recipe