- Serves: Makes 12
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the sweetcorn cakes:
- 525 g sweetcorn
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 2 eggs
- 15 g coriander leaves, chopped
- 125 g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- vegetable oil, for frying
For the avocado salsa:
- 2 ripe medium avocado, stones removed, flesh diced
- 15 g coriander leaves
- 2 tbsp lime or lemon juice
- 2 tbsp finely chopped spring onions
- 1 tomato, quartered, seeded and finely sliced (optional)
- dash tabasco, optional
1. For the sweetcorn cakes: Preheat the oven to 120C/gas 1.
2. Put 450g of the sweetcorn, the onion, eggs, coriander, flour, baking powder, salt and pepper in a food processor and process until well combined. Add the remaining sweetcorn and stir.
3. Heat 1 tablespoon of the vegetable oil in a non-stick frying pan over a medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, drop 2 heaped tablespoons of mixture per sweetcorn cake into the pan and cook in batches of 3 for 1 minute on each side. Drain on paper towels and keep warm in the oven while you are making the rest of the cakes.
4. For the avocado salsa: Put all the ingredients in a bowl, with a pinch of salt and pepper, and stir very gently to combine. Serve with the warm sweetcorn cakes.
Want to see more recipes like this? Take a look at all of our brunch recipes
Rate This Recipe