- Serves: 4-6
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 400 g wholemeal flour
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil, plus extra for frying
- 600 ml water
- flour, for dusting
For the filling:
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/3 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp ground asafoetida
- 3-4 green chillies, finely chopped
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 250 g fresh or frozen sweetcorn
- 2 tbsp grated fresh coconut
- 1 tbsp raisins
- tbsp cashew nuts, cut into small pieces
- 1 tsp garam masala
1. Place the flour, oil and salt in a large bowl and slowly mix in the water until the mixture forms a dough. Knead until smooth. Cover the dough with a clean tea-towel and set aside for 20 minutes.
2. Now make the filling. Heat the oil in a frying pan. Add the cumin seeds, asafoetida and green chillies. Fry, stirring, for 1 minute.
3. Add the coriander, mashed sweetcorn, coconut, raisins and cashews. Add the salt and garam masala, mixing well. Cook gently, stirring now and then, for 5 minutes.
4. Divide the dough into small balls. Lightly coat each dough ball with flour.
5. Roll the dough balls out forming thin flat breads or parathas, about 6-9cm round.
6. Heat a griddle pan until hot. Brush a paratha with a little oil and place on the griddle. Add 2-3 tablespoons of the corn mixture to the middle of the paratha.
7. Once the paratha has cooked underneath, turn over and cook on the other side until golden brown. Serve at once.
8. Repeat the process until all the remaining parathas and filling have been used up.
Rate This Recipe