- Serves: 8
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 300 g sweet shortcrust pastry
- 110 g mixed candied peel, chopped
- 60 g toasted hazelnuts, chopped
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg yolks
- 175 g caster sugar
- 175 g lightly salted butter
Tips and Suggestions
Candied Peel provides the 'sweetmeat', but don't be tempted to add glace cherries as they spoil the subtle flavour.
This recipe is a forerunner of the nursery favourite, treacle tart, but it has a much superior flavour.
1. Set the oven to 180°C/gas 4. Line a 23cm tart or flan tin with the pastry.
2. Scatter the chopped peel and hazelnuts over it.
3. Beat the remaining ingredients thoroughly together and pour the mixture over the peel. Bake for 35-40 minutes. The top should get crusted with a rich golden brown all over - so keep an eye on it after 30 minutes in the oven. The filling will sink slightly once out of the oven. Do not worry if the centre part of the filling is a little liquid beneath the crust, as it makes a delicious sauce. The consistency is a matter for individual taste.
4. Serve warm, with cream.
Rate This Recipe