- Serves: 2
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the steak
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 thick cut t-bone steaks, weighing about 1kg
- 1 tsp finely chopped rosemary
For the chanterelles
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 300 g chanterelle mushrooms, cleaned, base of stalk trimmed, halved
- 1 tsp finely chopped parsley
- squeeze lemon juice
For the salsa verde
- 1 tbsp finely chopped parsley
- 1 tsp finely chopped mint
- handfuls finely chopped rocket
- 3 anchovy fillets, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp capers
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- 1-2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- squeeze lemon juice
1. For the steak: remove the steak from the fridge about half an hour before cooking to allow it to come to room temperature.
2. Preheat a griddle pan over a high heat until very hot. (You could also cook the steak over the hot coals of a barbecue.)
3. Rub the olive oil into the steak, sprinkle over the rosemary and season generously with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
4. Lay the steak on the hot griddle and cook, without turning or moving it, for 3-5 minutes, or until a dark golden-brown crust has formed. Turn the steak over and cook for a further 3-5 minutes, or until cooked to your liking.
5. Using a pair of tongs, stand the steak up, bone-end touching the griddle, and cook for 3-5 minutes to ensure the bone-end of the steak is cooked through.
6. For the chanterelles: while the steak is cooking, heat the olive oil in a large frying pan over a medium-high heat. Add the garlic, salt and freshly ground black pepper then tip in the mushrooms and fry 5 minutes or until all the excess moisture has evaporated and the mushrooms are cooked.
7. Stir in the chopped parsley and a squeeze of lemon juice and cook for a further 2 minutes.
8. For the salsa verde: mix all the salsa verde ingredients together apart from the lemon juice. Taste, then adjust the quantities of mustard, vinegar or oil if necessary, adding a squeeze of lemon juice for acidity and salt and black pepper.
9. When the steak is cooked, remove from the heat and cut the meat off the bone. Transfer to a board and rest in a warm place for 3-4 minutes then carve into slices.
10. Divide the steak between warm serving plates and arrange the chanterelles and salsa verde alongside.
Rate This Recipe