- Serves: 2
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 100 g pearl or button onions, peeled
- 100 g button mushrooms, quartered
- olive oil
- 3 tbsp plus 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 t-bone steaks
- 25 g butter
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley
- freshly ground salt and black pepper
For the grilled tomatoes:
- 2 ripe plum tomatoes
- pinch of chopped thyme
- a few slivers of garlic
- olive oil
- a good pinch of flakes sea salt
- a good pinch of caster sugar
- freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat the grill to medium.
2. Place the tomato halves cut side up in a small grill pan. Top with thyme, garlic and a sprinkling of olive oil. Add sea salt flakes, sugar and a few grindings of black pepper. Place under the grill on a low shelf and grill slowly for 20 minutes.
3. Plunge the onions in a pan of boiling water and blanch for 2 minutes. Drain and set aside.
4. Fry the mushrooms in a little oil for about 5 minutes until brown.
5. Heat a little more oil in a separate pan and gently fry the blanched onions until light brown. Add the vinegar and bubble over medium heat until glazed.
6. Meanwhile, rub the steaks with olive oil and season with sea salt and pepper. Place on a preheated ridged stovetop grill and cook for 6-7 minutes (rare), or 9-12 minutes (medium), or 12-15 minutes (well-done), turning once.
7. Add the mushrooms to the onions. Reheat gently, stir in the butter and parsley, and season.
8. Transfer the steaks to heated serving plates, pour over the mushroom mixture and serve with the tomatoes.
Rate This Recipe