- Serves: 8
- Prep Time: 15 minutes plus marinating
- Effort: easy
- 60 g bulgur wheat, or couscous
- 1 large bunch flat leaf parsley
- 1 small bunch mint
- 1 small bunch coriander
- 2 lemons, juice, and finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- 250 g tomatoes, deseeded and finely diced
- 1 cucumber, finely diced
- 6 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 6 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- cos lettuce, or little gem lettuce
1. Put the bulgar into a mixing bowl and pour over enough cold water to cover. Leave for 20-30 minutes to swell and soften before draining.
2. Roughly chop the parsley, mint and coriander. Mix with the bulgur wheat, lemon juice, tomatoes, cucumber and spring onion. Pour in the olive oil and add a generous grind of salt and pepper.
3. Cover and leave for a few hours in the fridge, or better still, overnight. This gives the flavours a chance to mellow and blend. Stir again and adjust the seasoning, adding more lemon juice if needed.
4. Serve as a first course with leaves of cos lettuce or flatbread to scoop it up, or as an accompaniment to other dishes.
Rate This Recipe