- Serves: 4
- Cook Time:
- Prep Time: 20 minutes plus overnight soaking
- Effort: easy
- 400 g dried chickpeas
- 1 chicken, cut into 10 pieces
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2.5cm fresh ginger, chopped
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 110 g dried apricots
- 800g canned chopped tomatoes
- 3 tbsp honey
- 150 ml water
- a handful of fresh coriander, roughly chopped
- boiled rice, to serve
1. Soak the chick-peas overnight in a large bowl of cold water. Drain and cook in a large pan of fresh water, simmering until tender, around 1 hour. Drain.
2. Preheat the oven to 150°C/gas 3.
3. Heat the olive oil in a large, heavy-based frying pan. Add in the chicken pieces and fry until browned on all sides.
4. Transfer the chicken to an ovenproof casserole dish.
5. Add the onion and ginger to the frying pan and fry gently until softened.
6. Add in the cinnamon, black pepper, cumin and paprika. Fry, stirring, for 30 seconds.
7. Add in the dried apricots and fry, stirring, for around 1 minute.
8. Add in the chopped tomatoes, honey and water. Season with salt.
9. Bring to the boil and simmer for 3-4 minutes, stir in the cooked chick-peas and season with salt, if needed.
10. Pour the chick-pea sauce over the fried chicken pieces.
11. Cook and bake in the oven for 40 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through.
12. Garnish the chicken casserole with coriander and serve with rice.
Rate This Recipe