- Serves: 2-4
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 cinnamon sticks, or cassia bark
- 2 large dried chillies, broken into 3-4 pieces each
- 2 small-medium onions, chopped
- 1 tbsp garlic ginger paste, if not available, mince together 2" piece of ginger with 2-3 garlic cloves
- 5 tomatoes, chopped, or 1 x 400g can of chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp malt vinegar, or cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp grated jaggery, or light brown soft Muscovado sugar
- 1.5 tsp prepared tamarind pulp
- salt, to taste
1. Heat oil in a casserole.
2. Add the cinnamon sticks and sauté until swollen and deep brown in colour, but not burnt. Add the chillies and cook for 15-20 seconds, then add the onions.
3. Sauté until softened, but not brown, then add the ginger garlic paste and sauté for a further minute or so. Then stir in the tomatoes.
4. Add the vinegar, jaggery and tamarind.
5. Cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally until thick.
6. Taste and add salt and more vinegar or jaggery to taste.
Rate This Recipe