- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes plus freezing
- Effort: medium
- 250 ml milk
- 250 ml double cream
- 2 tangerines, zest and juice
- 2 vanilla pods
- 75 g caster sugar
- 6 large egg yolks
- 1 tsp tangerine extract, optional
1. Put the milk and cream in a pan and bring gently to boil with the juice and zest of the tangerines and the seeds from the vanilla pods.
2. In a separate bowl, whisk together the sugar and egg yolks until pale, thick and creamy.
3. When the cream has just come to the boil, gradually pour the hot cream over the egg yolk mix and whisk well then add the tangerine extract.
4. Pass the mixture through a sieve and return to a clean pan, placing over a low heat.
5. Heat the mix until it thickens to a custard-like consistency and coats the back of a spoon. Remove from the heat, pass again through sieve and place in ice-cream machine.
6. Churn until frozen according to manufacturer's instructions.
Cooks tip:Liquid nitrogen is available in welding supply shops. It makes good ice cream because the mix freezes very quickly, so you get small crystals and a very creamy texture. Also, the evaporating nitrogen aerates the mixture so it doesn't end up as a frozen lump.
Rate This Recipe