- Serves: Makes 15-20 patties
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the patties
- 200 g tapioca
- 225 ml cold water
- 400 g potatoes, peeled and boiled
- 2 green chillies, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 12 whole peanuts, roasted and crushed (optional)
- 30 g coriander leaves, roughly chopped
For the chutney
- 100 g coriander leaves, roughly chopped
- 3 green chillies, roughly chopped
- 1 clove garlic, roughly chopped
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp demerara sugar
- groundnut oil, for frying
1. Soak the tapioca in the cold water for about 10 minutes. It should swell and absorb all the water.
2. Coarsely mash the potatoes, chillies, salt, peanuts (if using) and coriander together.
3. Stir in the tapioca.
4. With wet hands, roll the potato mixture into spheres the size of a golf ball, then flatten the balls to make patties.
5. Heat the oil in a deep fat fryer or wok to 180 degrees. To check if the oil is hot enough, drop a small piece of the potato mixture into the oil - if it sizzles, the oil is ready.
6. Fry the patties for 2 minutes on each side, until golden. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper.
7. Place all the ingredients for the chutney together in a food processor; add 4-5 tablespoons cold water and whiz to a paste.
8. Serve the patties hot from the pan, with the chutney on the side.
Rate This Recipe