- Serves: 4-6
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 400 g red lentils
- 8 slices of peeled root ginger, 5mm thick
- 1 bay leaf
- 50 g butter
- 10 garlic cloves, peeled and finely sliced
- 4 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp dried red chilli flakes
- boiled rice, to serve
1. Place the lentils in a saucepan, along with the ginger, bay leaf and 1.5 litres of water. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 1015 minutes until the lentils are soft. As they cook, skim off and discard any foam that rises to the surface.
2. While the lentils are cooking, melt the butter in a small frying pan on a medium to high heat. When the butter starts to foam, add the garlic, cumin and chilli flakes and stir-fry for 12 minutes or until the garlic is lightly browned.
3. Serve the cooked lentils on a bed of boiled rice with the garlic butter poured over the top and seasoned with salt and pepper.
Recipe taken from Rachel Allen's Easy Meals.
Rate This Recipe